Photograph with kind permission of the Wilcockson family
Colonel Samuel Wright, who was part of the Wrights Bank here in Nottingham foundered in 1761, built this rendered brick house in 1791, just after the enclosure of the open fields. Samuel was born on 18 October 1754 to John Wright and Ann Sherbrooke. It would appear, however, that Samuel did not join the family firm instead he is known to have joined the army. He became Captain in the 15th Hussars and then becoming Lt. Colonel – commanding the Loyal Bunny Volunteers militia at the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Shortly before Samuel came to Radcliffe he married a divorcee, Lady Anne Margaret Coventry on 15 July 1788, she was the daughter of the 6th Earl of Coventry. She had married Mr Edward Foley on 24 October 1778 but they were divorced in May 1787. Their divorce case was the talk of high society at the time. She had committed adultery with Lord Peterborough and Edward dragged Anne through the humiliation of a divorce, where her infidelity was discussed in some detail in both Houses of Parliament. He continued this wrecking of her reputation by publishing all the salacious details in a pamphlet. Sam and Anne were married over 30 years but there is no record that they ever lived together and when she died her address was given in Mold, Flintshire.
Samuel Wright by kind permission of Galerie Christian Le Serbon, Paris
Samuel is still living in Radcliffe in 1798 as there is a record of him paying land tax on The Lodge. He moved to Gunthorpe Lodge (now demolished), as there is a record of him there in 1812 but in 1818 it is advertised to let, however according to his marriage certificate in 1825 it would appear he is still living in Gunthorpe. He married again on 20 May 1825, his marriage certificate recording ‘Samuel Wright Esq , widower of Lowdham parish to Ann Foulkes, spinster of Upper Broughton’, Samuel was 60 years of age. They then move to Ann’s village of Upper Broughton (aka Broughton Sulney) and lived at Broughton Cottage (now known as Sulney Fields). There is a plaque dedicated to him in the village church. Sam died in 1839 aged 85, and he is buried in a vault at the east end of the church. He did not have any children with either of his two wives. Ann, his widow remarried in 1846. (more detailed information can be found on the Upper Broughton local history website www.upperbroughtonhistory.objectis.net)
The parish registers now show a William Turbett ‘gentleman’ was living here in 1817-1819, and three of his children were born at the house.
The next to live here was the Reverend Henry Bolton in 1820. He married Selina the youngest daughter of the late Mr Jackson, of Eastland House in Nottinghamshire on 21 October 1820 in Liverpool. The groom’s address was given as The Lodge, Radcliffe on Trent. By 1826 Rev Henry Bolton is in a dispute with a builder who was doing some work at The Lodge.
Nottingham Journal, Saturday March 28 1829
SHIRE HALL, SATURDAY MARCH 21
The court opened this morning at nine o’clock, and Mr Justice Burrough having taken his seat on the bench, the business commenced.
WILSON V BOLTON
This was the action to recover the sum of £45 for work and labour done. The plaintiff, Samuel Wilson, is a bricklayer and plasterer, residing in Bingham, and the defendant, the Mr. H Bolton, resided at Radcliffe Lodge. – Mr Denman stated the case on behalf of the plaintiff, who, he said, was employed at the latter end of the year, 1826, to make a cornice, in a particular room at Radcliffe Lodge. The materials were found by the defendant, therefore, the only business the plaintiff had to do, was the work; but before he commenced the work, he complained to the defendant that the materials were not good. The complaint was not attended to, and the consequence was, that when the cornice was finished, it would not stand. After the cornice had fallen off, another was made by the plaintiff with better materials, and to the satisfaction of the defendant, who had given the plaintiff to understand, that the first should be paid for. This, however, had not been done, and the present proceeding had been adopted to recover the money. Several witnesses were called to prove that the work was done, and that the materials were bad. – In answer to the case, Mr Halgay (?) called Mr Samuel Walker, builder and surveyor, who stated that by request he adjusted the accounts between the plaintiff and the defendant in the month of July, 1827; that the balance of the account was £14, the sum of £60, having been previously paid on account by the defendant; that the plaintiff said, when the defendant wished to have a receipt in full of all demands, it would cost him 10s, which was a great expense, for a stamp, and he begged of him (the defendant) to be satisfied with a receipt for the balance, which was £14 and that both parties agreed to the following receipt, which he (witness) drew up and entered in his own book: – “Received of the Rev. Henry Bolton the sum of £14 being the balance of his account for work done on Radcliffe Lodge, amounting to £74 as the award by Samuel Walker”. No stamp could be got that day, and the plaintiff agreed to send the receipt the next morning. A copy of the receipt to be returned was given to plaintiff by witness. The receipt bore date the 17th of July, 1827. Witness saw plaintiff paid. – The receipt actually returned, was written as above, with the following words introduced: “For the work now to be seen in Radcliffe Lodge” – Mr Denman replied, and the learned Judge summed up. The Jury, in a few minutes returned a verdict for the defendant.
The learned Judge then proceeded to the Crown Court, where he presided.
The house is then regularly advertised in the newspapers for sale, but it was not sold and appeared in a number of local newspapers. Here is one of them in the Nottingham Journal, April 13 1838:-
RADCLIFFE LODGE – Nottinghamshire
To be sold by AUCTION by Mr White at the George the fourth Inn in Nottingham, Thursday 26 April 1838 at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, the above well-known, very elegant and delightfully situated COUNTRY GENTLEMAN’S Residence, with from four to twenty-one acres of land, of the finest quality.
The site of Radcliffe Lodge is elevated on the banks of the Trent, commanding a prospect much admired, embracing many interesting objects and surrounded with Beautiful Scenery and Pleasure Walks. The building is modern, handsome and tasty, externally and internally (the principal apartments being spacious, lofty and elegant), and comprises every accommodation suitable for domestic comfort or enlarged expenditure. Besides the Dining, Drawing and Breakfast rooms, library, housekeepers’ room or servants hall, kitchen, cellars, brewhouse etc. Extensive waterworks and various other adjuncts; there are ten excellent bedrooms with others in the outbuildings; capital stables for Hunters and other horses and for cows; dovecote, garden, fully stocked with choicest fruit trees, high flued walls; very lofty greenhouse with glazed entrance and double Hot-house, in one range 40ft in length,clothed throughout with vines in full bearing etc. Also a handsome Pew in the parish church.
The Mansion, with its grounds, retired from and yet contiguous to the agricultural village of Radcliffe on Trent is situated between the Towns of Southwell, Bingham and Nottingham, being six miles from the latter, fourteen from Newark and eighteen from Grantham, possessing the advantage of excellent Turnpike and other roads; the transits of several coaches daily;two mails, which pass and repass every day; and coals etc by water-carriage. It is in the midst of the very popular Hunt of Mr Musters’ and within reach of the Belvoir, the Quorn, the Marquis of Hastings; Mr Foljambe’s and Sir Richard Sutton’s hounds.
The land, which will be sold either with the Mansion, altogether, or in such Lots as may be agreed upon, consists of –
The Homestead, about four acres laid out in pleasure grounds; plantations, lawn, gardens and croft, with the Mansion, outbuildings and other erections thereon;
The ‘Ten-Acre Close’ otherwise called the ‘Nether five Roods’, being first-rate arable land, situated between the Bingham and Shelford Roads and now in the occupation of John Brewster.
The ‘Cliffe Close’ being about six acres more or less;
The ‘Ice House’ Close formerly the ‘Town-end Close’ measuring one acre and thirty-four perches or thereabouts:
The two last are Grassland, noted for hay crops and eddishes, and are of great value, from their contiguity to the village of Radcliffe, as well as being conveniently situated for the occupancy of the owner of Radcliffe Lodge.
The whole is freed from Tithe, and with the exception of Cliff Close also from Land Tax; and the parochial assessments are small.
For further particulars or to view the premises, applications must be made to PARKER, TAYLOR & ROOKE, solicitors, No 2 Raymond Buildings, Gray’s Inn, London or to Mr Jackson, solicitor or Mr Wood, Architect, Nottingham.
Another earlier sale notice gives the room dimensions –
This very elegant and delightfully situated, modern villa, possessing as a family residence, every suitable accommodation for the occupying of a GENTLEMAN of ample fortune, comprises an entrance hall or vestibule, communicating with the various apartments, consisting of a spacious Dining Room, 32ft x 14 ft and 14ft high; elegant Drawing Room 25½ft x 21ft (exclusive of the bay, the piers of which are faced with plate glass), and 13ft high; Library 14½ft x 14ft and 13ft high; Breakfast Room 20½ ft x 13½ ft; Servant’s Hall or Housekeepers room 14ft x 17½ ft and 12ft high; Front Kitchen 19ft x 14ft, and 12ft high; sculler; Brewhouse; dairy; larder; butler’s pantry and storeroom, together with numerous arched cellars, enclosed yard and all other requisite adjuncts on the ground or sub-story. In the second story, 10 excellent bedrooms (some of them communicating), water closet, housemaid’s closet etc. On the premises are hard and soft water pumps, and rainwater cistern (calculated to hold 127 hhds) connected with which are various cisterns pipes and taps, supplying the upper story, the Butler’s pantry, washhouse, brewhouse and steam and cooking apparatus, of the best and most complete construction. The principal apartments are fitted up with marble chimney pieces and decorated cornices. The doors and windows are of excellent proposition, with architraves, framed jambs and box shutters en suite, with enriched mouldings.
Also a very roomy double coach house, superior accommodation for 6 horses in the first or hunter’s stable (spacious chambers over), harness room, cow houses, pony stable, piggeries, dovecote chamber and capital stables underneath.
In 1848, the Reverend Henry Bolton, who was now living in The Park in Nottingham, is named as the owner when he let it to the railway contractors, Messrs Greaves, Adams & Smart as their headquarters whilst work took place locally, This was for three years. In about May 1848 the railway company decided to give their workmen a treat to celebrate the completion of the bridge over Wharf Road (now Wharf Lane) for 300 men. It was held in the grounds of Radcliffe Lodge. The lawns were decked with flowers and evergreens. Several marquees were also erected. ‘A figure of Britannia in appropriate costume was placed in the centre of the greensward’. It was reported that the ‘long tables bent beneath the weight of goodly viands’.Unfortunately the weather was not so good, about 3.45p.m. when the dinner was only partly finished dark clouds came over and there followed one of the heaviest storms in memory. The weather did improve and the celebrations continued with brass bands and glee singers. (I think they all had a good time!)
In May 1851 it is again advertised for sale: –
‘To Gentlemen of Taste, Country families, persons connected with Nottingham or builders and speculators. A commodious residence situate near the village of Radcliffe on Trent – comprises of the mansion, consisting of dining room 32ft by 21ft, drawing room 26ft by 16ft with elegant bow (the window piers faced with plate glass) breakfast room, study, servants hall and housekeepers room, kitchen, arched cellars, 10 bedrooms and water closet, capital stables, double coach house etc….
The above lot will be offered in one lot but as the buildings which are of considerable, extent, offer unusual facility for being converted into two or more commodious family residences or a terrace or various other purposes.
In 1852 the Manvers Estate acquired the house, presumably for the Viscount Newark to live there but the occupant in that year was Henry Smythe, reputedly a linen draper from Nottingham who failed in business and a sale of many of his goods soon followed including a piano, gallery of oil paintings and engravings, plate, china, books, linen, wines, carriages, saddlery, conservatory and greenhouse plants plus lots of furniture also listed. We assume he was renting the house from the Manvers Estate. This sale of his goods etc was held 23-26 May 1859.
Ichabod Charles Wright
Picture held in the National Portrait Gallery
Ichabod Charles Wright, a banker and scholar (related to the original owner Samuel Wright) bought it in 1859, he was then living at Lamcote House in the village. But he did not live here until later. In between times Captain (retired) Daniel Shaw Stewart of the 11th Hussars arrived in 1859 and was still there by the time of the 1861 census with his wife Anna, mother-in-law, 2 young children and 2 servants. By 1864 Ichabod was living here and his son Frederick was at Cliff House on Shelford Road.
However in February 1865 Charles Henry Smith and his family had moved in as a notice in the local newspaper reported that Charles Henry Smith’s wife gave birth to a son at The Lodge and in 1870 Charles Henry Smith, who was described as a manufacturer with Sarah his wife, 5 children, a governess and 5 other servants are still here.
Ichabod’s son Frederick who was also a banker moved into The Lodge in 1871 and his son was born here in 1872. In 1877 Frederick now a church warden at St Mary’s, became the treasurer for the newly formed committee looking into the rebuilding of the church. Frederick was a benevolent man and was recorded in 1873 as distributing ‘best Babbington’ coal to the needy of the village. A report in the Nottingham Guardian, Friday September 6 1878 tells of a presentation to Frederick Wright upon him leaving The Lodge:-
Presentation of an address to Mr Frederick right of The Lodge – On Tuesday evening the members and a few friends of the Radcliffe-on-Trent and Holme Pierrepont Church of England Temperance Society met at the schools to present an address to Mr Frederick Wright on his leaving Radcliffe to take up residence at Lenton Hall. The evening was not a pleasant one to induce people to leave home, nevertheless there was a goodly number of members and friends present. Had it been known publicly that an address was to have been presented, there would as Mr J D Gorse said, have been a crowded meeting. The meeting was presided over by the vicar the Reverend John Cullen, who also presented the address. The following is a copy of the address, which was splendidly illuminated on parchment. – “An address to Frederick Wright Esquire on the occasion of his leaving Radcliffe-on-Trent.- Dear Sir, we the members of the Radcliffe on Trent and Holme Pierrepont branch of the Church of England Temperance Society desire to express our regret that your departure from among Us. We cannot let this opportunity pass without availing ourselves of it in order to convey to you our sincere thanks for the great interest you have taken in our Society, and for your unwearied efforts to promote the cause of temperance since it’s foundation, which was entirely due to you. Your labour’s here have been crowned and blessed by God to the reclamation of the fallen, the strengthening of the weak and the encouragement of all. You have used your high position in which God has called you for the furtherance of every good work. Your noble gift towards the restoration about parish church and your wisdom and zeal as churchwarden, shall be remembered for many generations. We believe all these works are recorded on high. We pray God will continue to bless you and your family, and that you may live many years to follow the example of our Lord and Master, who went about doing good, and that when your time of rest has come you may hear the joyful sentence- “Well done good and thou faithful servant, thou hast been faithful over a few things I will make thee ruler over many things, enter thou into the joy of thy Lord”-, signed John Cullen vicar of Radcliffe on Trent and 70 or 80 others. August 1878. The Rev Chairman in presenting the address, spoke very fully and very eloquently of Mr Wright’s work in the parish generally and his labours in the Temperance cause especially. The presentation was received by the audience with great applause – Mr Wright with much emotion and deep feeling, expressed his surprise and pleasure at the, to him, unexpected gift and said how highly he appreciated it, and how valued it would be both by himself and family. He begged to thank all who had in any way joined in it and to wish them and the parish God speed. Mr J D Gorse then proposed a vote of thanks to Assistant Secretary Pownall who leaves the parish with Mr Wright. This was heartily responded to and the late assistant secretary returned thanks. On Sunday the 1st of September the members of Mr Wrights bible class, which he has held at the lodge for some time presented him with a splendidly bound copy of Bagsters miniature quartz bible. Mr Samuel Bell junior was the presenter and spokesman, and very well he acquitted himself. On receiving so unexpected and spontaneous a present from his young friends, Mr Wright was most visibly affected and replied in a few well-chosen words of thanks. The members of the class that kept the secret so well that very few knew about it, certainly none of Mr Wright’s family, hence the surprise on receiving such a gift. The Bible bears the following inscription- “ Presented to Frederick Wright Esq., by members of his bible class Radcliffe September 1878.
True to say that the Lodge belonged to the upper stratum of Radcliffe society in the mid-19th century.
The Lodge was up for sale again in 1878 but now had 14 bed and dressing rooms and one of its front halls contained a billiard table. It was bought by Richard Grundy, auctioneer and estate agent who divided it up into 2 houses, North and South Lodge.
In March 1881 the contents of North Lodge were up for sale after the death of Richard Grundy – contents of dining and drawing rooms, 6 bedrooms including dark carved oak sideboard, suites in pitch pine and walnut wood, couches, chairs, sofas etc
On 11 February 1885 a John George Marshall aged 52 died, his address was given as Radcliffe Lodge.
1881-1886 Tom Potter a colliery owner and a Mrs Skinner are listed as residents in North Lodge.
In 1887 Henry William Lambert a lace manufacturer is recorded at North Lodge with his wife Caroline. They had a son Samuel born here in 1887. They left to live in The Park, Nottingham around 1895. In a report in The Nottingham Evening Post, Friday March 1 1889 a prestigious concert was held at The Lodge, hosted by Mr Lambert:-
DRAWING ROOM CONCERT AT RADCLIFFE-ON-TRENT
The spacious dining hall at The Lodge, Radcliffe-on-Trent, the pleasant residence of Mr. H.W. Lambert, was filled last evening with a fashionable and sympathetic audience, who had assembled for a twofold purpose. One purpose was to take part in a delightful vocal and instrumental concert given by lady and gentlemen amateurs of the district; and the other, to assist in contributing towards the Organ Fund of the Holme Pierrepoint Church, the latter, of course, being the primary object for which the concert was given. The present organ has done good service in its day and generation. But time and much usage have had their effect upon the instrument. It is in need of renovation and general improvement. The friends of the church would also like to have it enlarged, and to see it endowed with greater power by the addition of several more stops. The estimated expense to carry out the scheme contemplated is about £100. A movement has been set on foot to raise this sum, and Mr Lambert, in arranging last evening’s concert, sought to secure an acceptable contribution to the fund, and, at the same time, to give the movement an impetus. Happily, he succeeded beyond his expectations. Amongst the company present were Viscount and Viscountess Torrington, the Rev. H Seymour, Miss Seymour, Miss Julia Seymour, and Miss Lilian Seymour, the Rev. A Hensley and Miss Hensley, Mr F Able Smith, and Mr., Mrs., and Miss Pinder. The ladies and gentlemen who kindly gave their services included Viscountess Torrington, Mrs. H. Russell, Miss Starey, Miss Aline Starey, Miss Lilian Russell, Mr John Lambert, Mr H. Lee-Matthews, Mr. A Smith and Mr. W.M Hole, who was the accompanist. The programme had evidently been arranged with such care, for the classical and the popular elements were happily blended. It included instrumental trice, duets, and solos; as well as songs and recitations. Between the first and second parts of the programme refreshments were served in the drawing room, and every attention was paid to the comfort of the visitors. The opening item was a duet for violin and piano, by Moakowski, performed by Miss Aline Starey and Mr Smith. This was followed by a vocal duet, “Sous Les Etoiles”, sung by Mrs H Russell and Mr John Lambert; then came a pleasant trio for violin, Miss Aline Starey; harp, Miss Starey; and piano, Mr Smith; the composition being a reverie by Vieuxtemps. The Viscountess Torrington and Miss Seymour sang “The Angle” very tastefully. Later in the evening the Viscountess showed herself to be an accomplished vocalist by singing feelingly, and with delicacy of intonation as well as depth of expression, Milton Wellings’ “Golden Love” for which she was recalled. She contributed further to the evening’s pleasure by a performance of a “Fantasie Impromptu” by Chopin, a brilliant and difficult composition. She displayed a remarkable mastery of the technicalities of the work, and also of the instrument, and elicited warm commendations from the audience, and was recalled. Another instrumental treat was Miss Aline Starey’s rendering of the violin of Papini’s beautiful “Souvenir”, which the composer played in Nottingham on the occasion of one of his recent visits, and a serenade by Pierne. Her phrasing, especially in the softer movements, was most enjoyable, and in the forte passages she performed spiritedly and with accuracy. Besides taking part in several duets, Mrs H. Russell gave Sullivan’s “Golden Days”, “Twas in the Merry Month of May, “ and Cowen’s “Light in Darkness”. Mr John Lambert was happily in excellent voice. It rang out clear and resonant in “The Message”, but still better in “Love’s Proving” for which he was heartily encored, and responded with “Tis all that I can say”. He gave all his songs with his accustomed grace of style and tastefulness. Mr. H. Lee-Matthews contributed to the pleasure of the evening by singing several songs, including “Thou’rt passing hence my brother”, by Sullivan; Les Rameaux,” by Faure, and in response to an encore, the Curate’s Song from “The Sorceror”. He also recited Poe’s “Raven”. Mr W.M.Hole accompanied judiciously and skillfully. The concert was an unmistakable and very gratifying success, and there was a general expression of gratefulness to Mr Lambert for placing his residence at the disposal of the friends of the church.
In 1903 Walter Innes Hadden, wife Kate and the children are in North Lodge. They appear to have moved out by 1905.
In 1905 Bernard Wilcockson (a well-known Nottingham Solicitor)and family moved in but only until 1908 when the family moved to Isle of Wight where he died in April 1911. Bernard was a solicitor and had worked as an articled clerk for Benjamin Dowson. Bernard was an accomplished musician and is recorded in numerous newspaper reports highlighting his performances. He married Christine Munro in 1898 in London. They lived most of their married life in Nottingham. His practice was in Thurland Chambers in the town.
Christine Munro wife of Bernard Wilcockson
After the Wilcockson’s a Mr George Arthur Gregg, a prominent Wesleyan and leather manufacturer lived in North Lodge from 1908 until his death on 10 December 1910.
During 1915 and 1916 Gerald C Eve who worked for the Inland Revenue was in North Lodge.
Charles Morris appears in 1889, he had been a business partner of Mr Grundy (he also married Kate, the niece of Richard Grundy) moved into South Lodge with his wife Kate and three daughters and the Sarah Ann Grundy, widow of the above mentioned Richard. Their daughter May held her wedding reception here in 1909.
Both parts of the Lodge appeared in newspaper reports as venues for concerts and soirees. In 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee 100 children from the infants school went to the Lodge to receive a gift from Mr and Mrs Morris. The Morris’s appear to have lived here until 1914 or thereabouts. However Charles died in Scotland on 10 April 1915.
By the time of the first world war in 1914 Mr and Mrs Arthur B Litchfield with their sons Gordon and Lancelot were the occupiers and during their occupancy an artificial flower making business was operating (a number of local people were employed there). They moved to a house on Cropwell Road. For more information about Gordon Litchfield during WW1 click here. Photograph below.
RADCLIFFE LODGE SCHOOL
Between 1922 and 1934 it became a school for 40 boys, attending as day and boarding pupils run by Arthur Cecil Edwards and his wife Susannah. They had a daughter Anne Cynthia and the school was run with a matron and six masters (assume it reverted to one house for that time). A low building set apart from the house (possibly where the artificial flower business operated from) was a gymnasium. Between the wars the Primitive Methodists held their garden parties as did the Radcliffe District Nursing Association, of which Mrs Edwards was a committee member. Mr Edwards died on 25 March 1934 and Mrs Edwards appears to have run the house as nursing home according to the directory of 1941. On 28 April 1943 their daughter Anne Cynthia was married.
During the second world war Red Cross meetings were held and it also housed evacuee mothers, babies and toddlers from London.
After the war it was sub-divided into several residences. In the late 1950s Judge Flint and his family lived here, they occupied the section nearest Wharf Lane which housed the beautiful staircase and hallway.
Advertised again for sale in 1974
SK 63 NW RADCLIFFE-ON-TRENT WHARF LANE (east side)
3/97 Radcliffe Lodge
Country house, now divided into several dwellings. Late C18. Render over red brick, ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof behind parapet with cornice. 2 lateral, 2 ridge and single rear rendered stacks. Painted plinth. 2 storeys, 8 bays. The central 2 bays project slightly and are pedimented. Large single storey bow topped with iron balustrade traversing 2 bays and with 3 low glazing bar sashes. To the right, in former window opening, is a doorway with part glazed door with marginal lights and overlights. Further right are 2 similar sashes. To the left is a single similar sash, a doorway in former window opening with glazing bar door and marginal lights and overlights, and on the far left a single similar sash. Above are 8 similar smaller sashes. To the left, set back, is a lower 2 storey, 4 bay range with altered openings. Rear has doorway with chamfered rusticated pilasters and fluted imposts supporting triglyph type frieze and cornice.
Radcliffe Lodge 2013